Saturday, December 26, 2009

Robot, Tree and a Mage



The top drawing is drawing in my sketchbook, which I've yet to finish filling out (6 pages left). It was suppose to be this fun quirky idea 'cause it seemed really funny and witty for a robot to use his hand as an angel/star for a Christmas tree. I got myself an Al Hirschfeld book recently, which is amazing. He's had probably the longest career is illustration of anybody, for 80 years, which is pretty crazy. So I've been trying to learn from his line work, which I've loved the first moment I saw it. There is honestly something really beautiful in his lines and as one of my teacher use to say, "You've got only two things: line and tone" and no one does line better than Hirschfeld. I can never be him, but I like trying to experiment with line with heirarchy of lines that vary in stroke and importance.