Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Thought Process



Step 1: So I thought I'll go through a detail thought process from rough to finish or somewhere near finished. It's almost spring and I wanted to do something "spring-y" and fun for a spring promo and I had the idea of a little girl watering a giant flower. This is just one of the sketches for it, other variations had her with a bigger watering can.




Step 2: As I was drawing it more, the original idea of just watering a really huge flower felt a bit bland 'cause I could do more with it. I wanted to tell more of a story so the illustrations could stretch out over a few months to get art directors and others I'm sending it to interested in the story so I went back to the beginning of planting the flower. This is one of the more finished sketches of her dancing as she's planting the seeds. I do like this drawing, but I wanted to keep the illustration more portrait over landscape.




Step 3: Here's a really rough drawing that's hard to make out any details for most people except for me. Now this is something I normally show no one else 'cause, seriously, no one could understand it but me. They'd either see too much or too little, which is bad either way since the viewer isn't seeing what I want them to see. But this is the start of the idea I liked. It's playful and kind of funny. Now continue on to ...




Step 4: So I took the idea I had in before and roughed it out more to get a better pose and overall design of the illustration. It's hard to remember how I thought of things as a kid, but even now, it's still kind of magical how a seed, something relatively small and ugly, becomes something big, beauitful and colourful. So it's almost as if she's planting magic seeds or using magic to make the seeds grow.




Step 5: Here is the working rough right now. I'm inking it in and most of the foreground is pretty much finished. I'm probably going to tweak the lines a bit when I end up redrawing them in Adobe Illustrator and I'll have to do something to better emphasis the seeds as right now it's hard to tell where they are though I guess I could just take them off or have them on top of the mound of dirt already. I'll probably have another post later on as I finish the colouring of the illustrations to show that process though it's fairly simple compared to the sketching and thinking part.