Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Why I like to work on paper first

I always find it interesting that the generations growing up now to be illustrators and artists work more and more on the computer and seldom ever touch a pen or draw on paper. I use to be a traditionalist and believe that it's important to work by hand first. There's a certain feel of the resistant of your medium on a surface that's not the same as on a tablet or a screen. That's not necessary true, but that's what I use to think. But in a lot of way, it makes sense with how easy it is to carry around a tablet, smartphone and light laptop. To be honestly, it's a lot easier to do something on Photoshop then to take out a paint kit to sketch on the spot. I love layers! It makes life so much easier.

For me, I love the limitation of each medium. I don't strive to do on the computer what I can do by hand. I'm not saying it shouldn't and can't be done, but this is my method of working. I like the limits of what I can and can't do with a medium. It gets me to know the medium like a friend. I know their quirks, I know how to encourage it to be this way and I know there's no way in hell I can do that with it. There's, also, a joy in mastering a medium in getting to know it so well you can always do what you want with it. Then there's a way different surfaces will fight back against what medium you choose. Sometimes I want a really course and rough watercolour paper to ink on and I'll use a technical pen over a dip pen. There's just a different feel in how I can almost lightly sketch with it since it takes a lot to get a mark on the paper. Other times, I want a smooth surface with a dip pen to flow across the page. This is what I grew up with and this is what I realized I love about drawing.

I still do and will always prefer working on paper first. It's how I work and I create ideas on paper while working on the computer I just finalize it. But I don't think digital or traditional is best. Each has its ups and downs. In the end, it's whatever works best for you.

And since I wanted to show something off without it having its own post, I'm posting it here. I have a day job where I work in a really really small organization that's just my manager, my co-worker and me. We just finished off the school year so I wanted to make a small gift for them. I haven't inked something fully in awhile so here it is.



And if anyone that sees this and knows them, please don't let them know about it. I have a feeling they don't check out my blog often and truthfully, I forget I have one sometimes so I don't blame them. And if either of you ladies find out about it, just try to act surprise when you get it.