Monday, September 3, 2012

Pens

So besides the fact that my personal balance is off, I'm working on a big project so I've been a bit busy and will probably be for awhile. The interesting thing is that lately, I've been going back to using a nib pen. It's quite a different few compare to a technical pen, which is what I normally use. I've used brushes, brush pen, technical pen and nib pen all before, but I normally stick with a technical pen 'cause it's consistent and has a ready supply of ink and has roughly the same stroke width. There's a lot of beautiful things once can do with a brush and brush pen, but I never really liked it. I found it a bit hard to consistent supply of ink into a brush without always dapping it out on a piece of paper so it felt like half the ink was just being wasted.

I love the way that the ink just flows across the paper and how just manoeuvring the nib changes the stroke of the line. I can do the same thing with a technical pen, but it's not really the same in terms of how I'd try it. So far I've just done some sketching with the nib, but hopefully I'll find the time to do a more fuller illustration to get a better feel of it.